- 113g/ 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 57g/ 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 354g/ 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 35g/ 3tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup finely diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 finely diced green capsicum
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pepperoni
- 3/4 cup Pizza sauce
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
- To make the dough: Place the milk, water, yeast, and 1 cup flour in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Add the egg, olive oil, salt, and remaining flour. Mix to make a soft dough, then knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until doubled.
- To assemble: Divide the dough into four pieces and shape into balls. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place one piece of dough on a piece of parchment. Roll it into a 10″ circle. Brush the circle all over with egg wash.
- Stir the paprika into the cheese, then sprinkle over the dough, leaving 1/2″ around the outside edge uncovered. Scatter the sun-dried tomatoes over the cheese.
- Roll another ball of dough to the same size as the first. Place it on top of the first circle, brush with egg wash, spread with pizza sauce and shingle slices of salami and chopped capsicum over the dough, again leaving the outer 1/2″ around the edge uncovered.
- Roll out the third ball of dough, place on top, and brush with egg wash. Spread with remaining pizza sauce, pepperoni and onions , leaving the outer edge uncovered. Roll out the last ball of dough and place it on top.
- Place a 2″ round biscuit cutter or drinking glass in the center of the dough to serve as a guide. Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 16 equal strips, from the outside edge to the cutter/glass in the center, through all the layers.
- Using two hands, pick up two adjacent strips of dough and twist them away from each other twice, so the top side is facing up again. Repeat with the remaining strips of dough all the way around the circle. Remove the cutter/glass.
- Pinch the ends of adjacent strips together all the way around the bread to create eight star-like points. Transfer the star on the parchment to a baking sheet. Cover with greased plastic and let rise until noticeably puffy, about 45 minutes.
- While the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- When risen, remove the plastic and brush the star with a thin coat of the egg wash. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, until nicely golden.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving warm.
- Store any leftovers, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for a day or so. Freeze for longer storage.